Everything you and your sales people say when communicating with prospects is . You have the choice to go with what naturally pops up in your head or you can take a different approach.
Conventional Sales Messaging Approach
First, lets look at a conventional approach or what many companies are doing for messaging before looking at some things to do with your sales messages. Often, most companies will train their sales people in the following areas:
- Company: details of the company, history, number of offices, etc.
- Products: details of the products and portfolio.
- Functionality: what the products and/or services do.
- Features: the features which are available.
- Benefits: the benefits which can be achieved.
Often, these categories will be dominant in a new hire sales training program and most of the content which a person is trained on.
Whats wrong with this approach? Answer: Its an all about me approach. Basically, all these categories are about you and when you train your sales people on this, theyll go out and have an all about me approach when communicating with prospects.
The challenge is when youre at the very beginning of the sales cycle and prospecting in order to generate leads, you may not be at a point in which youve earned the right to talk about yourself yet. Or, another way to see it is, the prospect may not care yet about you or anything to do with you.
Alternative Sales Messaging Approach
It can be a simple solution shifting the sales messages to focus more on the prospect if you agree it may not be best to talk so much about yourself when initially speaking with a prospect. So how do we get this done?
The following are other categories which we can focus on when developing our own messaging or developing our sales training for new employees:
- Value: the value thats transferred to the prospect when purchasing and using your products.
- Pain: the challenges which prospects are typically experiencing that you help resolve.
- Qualify: the questions which you should be asking your prospects to determine whats going on.
- Objections: how you respond to the objections youre guaranteed to face.
- Interest: what you say in order to trigger interest on the prospects side.
- Credibility: what you say which will establish credibility as well as make you seem reliable and not such an outsider.
The majority of them are about the prospect which is the main difference with these categories. How you help the prospect is value. The prospects challenges are pain points. Qualifying questions will definitely be about the prospect because they are questions directed specifically to them.
When incorporating these fundamental areas into your personal preparation or your corporate sales training, theyll impact everything you say. Also, with these being more about the prospect and less about you, youll be completely shifting the opposite direction from an all about me frame over to one thats all about you.
SalesScripter provides call scripts to help sales pros with .