In the third video in our series on how to sell software to businesses, we discuss gathering information. This is a key step because knowledge is power and the more information you gather from your prospects, the more knowledge and power you will have.
The Best Salesperson Asks the Best Questions
The key to being effective at gathering information and gaining more knowledge is simply asking good questions when you talk with prospects. This will help you in three different ways:
- Find Opportunities: By learning more about the prospects you talk to, you will improve your ability to find and uncover opportunities.
- Easier to Close: By having more information, you will improve your ability to close the prospects and leads that you pursue.
- Protect Your Valuable Time: Time is your most valuable asset and by gathering more information, you will be able to protect your valuable time and minimize the time you spend with prospects that have a low probability of purchasing from you.
2-Step Qualifying Process
In order to gather more information from the prospect and protect our valuable time, we recommend using a qualifying process to screen bad prospects from good. And we divide this process into two different steps – 1) Pre-Qualifying and 2) Qualifying.
The first step in the process is pre-qualifying with how to sell software to businesses is just asking a few questions to identify if there is a slight potential for a fit. If there is at least a slight potential for a fit, then it makes sense to keep talking and worth both parties continuing to spend their valuable time talking. But if there is not even a slight potential for a fit, it probably makes sense to walk away in order to prevent both parties from wasting their valuable time.
There are very specific questions that you can ask when trying to pre-qualify prospects and those are pain questions and current state questions. These questions will do a very effective and efficient job of quickly figuring out if there is even a slight potential for a fit.
The second step in gathering information with how to sell software to businesses is qualifying and this is to identify if the prospect or lead is of a decent enough quality to justify investing valuable time with. In order to qualify, we recommend asking questions in four different areas:
- Need to purchase: Does the prospect truly need what you sell or is it more of a want?
- Ability to purchase: Does the prospect have the ability to purchase your product from a financial standpoint?
- Authority to purchase: Does the prospect have the decision-making authority to purchase what you sell?
- Intent to purchase: Does the prospect have the genuine intent to purchase your product?
By asking questions in those four areas, you will have a clear picture if the prospect and lead is strong and worth both parties spending valuable time continuing to discuss.
We hope this helps give you some new ideas on how to sell software to businesses.