Voicemail getting prospects to call back

My feeling on voicemails is yes, you should leave them. They should be brief and well thought out. Honestly, I get very few call backs – shocking right? I am wondering now in this day and age if prospects have a different intent while listening to a voicemail. Instead of listening to what the vm is about, is it more now listening to the person, their voice, tonality and trying to decipher if this is a person that I want to have a conversation with over and above whatever the message is.

Am I way off here?

Keep pumping out the great blogs, tips, vids and education!

If your point is about prospects not calling back, it is my belief that prospects do not return calls from voicemails that are left by salespeople. This might sound a bit pessimistic, but I base this assumption on the following factors:

• The prospect is too busy to return the call.
• The prospect is not interested (yet).
• The prospect has a certain level of ego and feels it is below him or her to call a salesperson back.
• The prospect assumes the salesperson will call back again.
• The prospect intends to call the salesperson back but forgets to.
• The prospect does not listen to the message.

All of these points about understanding the prospect may sound a bit negative and that I am trying to talk you out of calling the prospect all together. That is not the point of this exercise. More so, the goal here is to better understand the prospect and be able to picture what is going on with that person so that you can make better decisions regarding your voicemail messages.

This and the area of voicemails is discussed in more detail in this video: